First, my apologies for missing a few lessons. I was just busy and didn't really feel any special inspiration for those. I'm sure you did fine without me.
However, I just gained some marvelous insights into how to teach in 25 minutes from the Faith Matters podcast of August 23, 2026 with guests, Patrick and Melissa Mason. You can find it here on YouTube or on any audio podcast app, but for us visual learners, I thought I would just post the major points I received from their conversation here.
Patrick delved into the question of why we meet on Sundays. Why not just commune with nature or study the scriptures at home?
PURPOSES OF GATHERING FOR CHURCH ON SUNDAY
1) Individual conversion
2) Love for God and each other
3) Healing
4) Preparation to build Zion
Adding to his thoughts, often we can "thicken" the Spirit's presence when we are in a worshipful group, physically gathered.
"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20).
I think when you have a group that is actively loving each other, God's presence, His love, graces that group, and it shows up through the Holy Ghost. If your group is not spiritually healthy, if it's not friendly, if you don't fit in or feel noticed, or if it's just a boring talk or lesson, you can always turn to God in a silent prayer and say, "Teach me." The Holy Ghost will show up for you if your heart and mind are willing.
PURPOSES FOR OUR THREE SUNDAY MEETINGS
Patrick then expounded a bit on why we have three separate meetings.
Sacrament Meeting
Here we all gather together--all ages, all abilities, all genders--to partake of the sacrament, to remember Jesus Christ's great love for us and recommit to our covenants with Him.
Sacrament meeting is universal. Throughout the world, in every country, Sacrament meeting is held in the same basic format.
Sunday School
Here we divide into age-groups to "commune with the history of the saints" of all times, all ages, as recorded in all our standard works to learn how they responded to Jesus Christ's love. We study together. We learn from their examples and errors. We learn from what God said to them. We share our personal insights.
The Sunday School hour is very different for different ages, from nursery age through Primary, youth Sunday School, adult classes. Sunday School is handled differently throughout the world. A Sunday School class in a new branch of new members and investigators will be very different from one full of religion teachers. An adult class will be very different from a youth class in the same ward.
Relief Society/Priesthood/Young Women
Here we divide further, now into gender-specific groups, and discuss how we take that "fuel," that information, insight, new understanding we have gained collectively out into the world to build Zion. These classes should not be just another Sunday School class. They should be more actionable.
The third block of Sunday worship time is very specific to age, gender, circumstance, and locale. For example, Young Women in different areas of the world, in different size classes, with different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds will manage their class very specifically according to what their lives are like.
A young teacher with a Primary class of 85 children in Sierra Leone.
Photos by Mission Leaders Scott and Kathy Wyatt
HOW TO PRIME THE CLASSROOM
Melissa starts every adult Sunday School class with two questions on the board, which I think would also be excellent for youth Sunday School classes:
- What does this teach me about Jesus Christ?
- What does this teach me about myself?
I think another question might also be appropriate, even if added later in the lesson:
- What will I do this week with this knowledge?

No comments:
Post a Comment