SIGNS OF THE TIMES NOT YET FULFILLED
1. The Church will grow to fill the entire earth (Dan. 2:35, 44-45). We are getting closer, but there are still over 100 major cities in Russia, the largest country in the world, that have no church outreach, according to Cumorah.com. And about 60 additional nations are still closed to the Church.**
2. All will hear the gospel in their own language (D&C 90:10-11). There are around 6,500 languages in the world. The Book of Mormon is now available in 90 languages. The Provo MTC teaches over 50 languages. The international MTCs teach several more. We do have translation during General Conference, but we are far from 6,500 languages.
3. Righteousness and truth will sweep the earth as a flood (Moses 7:62). President Benson’s “flooding of the earth” with the Book of Mormon was a definite contributor.
4. Scattered Israel will be gathered. Definitely in process!
5. The lost ten tribes will return (D&C 133:26-33). D&C 110:11 implies that there will be two parts to this gathering: the gathering from the four corners of the earth of individuals through missionary work, and the leading from the north of a larger group.
6. The Lamanites will blossom as the rose (D&C 49:24). South and Central American natives certainly have, but there is still room for more blossoming among the North American Natives. I personally believe the North American Natives are descendants of Lehi.
7. The U.S. Constitution will be threatened but the leaders of our church will save it (Brigham Young, quoting Joseph Smith, JD 2:182). Our constitution is certainly under stress at this time.
8. A great hailstorm will destroy the crops of the earth, with stones the weight of a talent (Rev. 16:21; D&C 29:16). No one knows the accurate weight of a New Testament talent, but we can assume these are big hailstones.
9. The gospel will flourish in Egypt and a temple will be built there (Isaiah 19:18-22). Egypt is presently one of the nations closed to the Church.
10. A temple will be built in old Jerusalem (Ezek. 47:1-10; TPJS, 286). It will be on the Temple Mount but will not necessarily displace the Dome of the Rock; it will not be what is presently the Jerusalem Center. Church leadership has advised Seminary/Institute teachers to stop speculation that this may one day become a temple. Such a transformation would be against our agreement with Jerusalem leadership.
11. A spring of fresh water will flow out from under this temple and heal the Dead Sea (Ezek. 47:1-10; TPJS, 286). Healing this sea would involve a massive amount of fresh water to reduce its salinity and make it habitable.
12. The “times of the Gentiles” will be fulfilled and the gospel will be taken to the Jews (D&C 45:22-28).
13. The Jews will accept Jesus Christ as their Savior (D&C 45:51-53). There are Messianic Jews today who do believe in Jesus as their Savior, and that movement is growing, but it is far from a majority. According to one source, only 2.5% of Jews are Messianic.
14. A New Jerusalem will be built in Independence, Missouri (Moses 7:62-64; D&C 57:1-3; Ether 13:5-6). The wicked will be afraid of the righteous who live there. It will be a place of safety for refugees from every nation. They will be the only people not at war. We haven't seen much happen in Independence yet.
15. There will be a huge, private meeting at Adam-Ondi-Ahman (Dan. 7:9-14). All the faithful will be there, plus faithful dead (Bruce R. McConkie, MM, 578). Christ will appear there and receive the keys of the kingdom back from the Church leaders.
16. A great earthquake “such as was not since men were upon the earth” will darken the sun (Rev. 6:12; 16:18). The 1812 New Madrid earthquakes along the Mississippi River in the United States are an example of how an earthquake can darken the sun--by raising sulphurous vapor from below the earth. Whether this event was the fulfillment of this prophecy, I don't know.
17. There will be no rainbows in the year that Christ comes (HC 6:254). Joseph Smith: “In any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come.”
18. There will be a grand “sign of the coming of the Son of Man” in the sky. Nobody knows what it is, including the devil, but it will be obvious (Matt: 24:29-31; D&C 88:90-93; etc.) Joseph Smith: This will come after the sun has been darkened, the moon turned to blood, and the seas have heaved beyond their bounds (TPJS, 286-7).** Some people think that the sign has occurred, but since it wasn't obvious to the casual observer, I disagree.
19. All the world will be at war, with Jerusalem at the center of the conflict.
20. The Battle of Armageddon will occur. The valley of Megiddo is the name of the location today and is 50 miles north of Jerusalem (Rev. 16:14-16).
21. Two of the apostles will be killed in Jerusalem after ministering there for 3-1/2 years (Rev. 11:3-13; D&C 77:15. Their bodies will lie in the street for 3-1/2 days, while the people celebrate their deaths. They will then rise from the dead and ascend into heaven after a vocal summoning from God.
22. Those living a godly life will be taken up to meet Christ and will then descend with him to rule the earth (D&C 88:96-98).
23. In the midst of the siege of Jerusalem, Christ will appear on the Mount of Olives (Zech. 12:1-9; Bruce R. McConkie, DNTC, 1:659-60). The Mount of Olives will split in two and the entire world will feel the associated earthquake (D&C 45:48; Zech. 14:1-5). Everyone will see Jesus Christ appear; there will be no doubt (Rev. 1:7; 6:14-16; etc.).
24. The wicked will be burned (Mal. 4:1; D&C 5:19; etc.)
25. Evil will be conquered (D&C 29:21, etc.).
26. There will be a full end of all nations (D&C 87:6-8).
27. The righteous will live in peace (Isa. 11:6-9). Jesus Christ will rule the world politically.
Notes on two other signs:
1. The mark of the beast will be in people’s foreheads [ownership] and right hands [covenants] (Rev. 13:13-17). This could just be symbolizing general worldliness and evil-doing, and could therefore already be fulfilled.
2. *The sun will be darkened and the moon will become as blood (Joel 2:28-32). In October conference 2001, President Hinckley read this prophecy and said had been fulfilled. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2001/10/living-in-the-fulness-of-times?lang=eng. His second talk in that conference is also of interest. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2001/10/the-times-in-which-we-live?lang=eng.
Source: David J. Ridges, Using the Signs of the Times to Strengthen Your Testimony, 2014. Note: He lists 97 signs of the times total. This list only contains those not yet fulfilled.**Nations/Areas Without Significant Church Presence
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
Vatican City (obviously)
Wallis and Futuna
“Today, the Lord’s work in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is moving forward at an accelerated pace. The Church will have an unprecedented, unparalleled future. ‘Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, … the things which God hath prepared for them that love him’ (; see also ).
EXTRA ACTIVITY: If you have active class members (a.k.a. youth), you may want to let them make Hebrew lamps during or after the discussion to remind themselves to be filled with the Holy Spirit that they may be a light to the world. Here is a link to directions: Homemade Hebrew Lamps